Friday, May 10, 2019

Painting some scatter terrain from Sarrisa Precision




I picked up a 6 part kit of Sarrisa Precisions destroyed SciFi Base set a week ago and it is really amazing stuff.  The kits build and paint super quick.  (Note: the game mat and desert rock terrain seen here are from GameMat.Eu) The kit from Sarrisa for all 6 pieces was $70 US.  Pretty good deal for what you get.




The kits are typical MDF style but were really cut well and have a great design.  I wanted a ruined base kind of look for some missions I want to run in the future, in 30k, and this stuff fit the bill aesthetically.  I use clear Elmers glue now for building MDF kits.  It bonds well and is transparent when dry.  It also bonds sands well around the base of walls for ruins.



These kits all come with a base plate which is nice.  I covered it with a super thin layer of Vellejo brown earth, basically a acrylic and pumice compound, it is basically the GW basing compound at about 1/10th the price by volume.  I use it and the black lava color for all of my basing now.  GW pot size comparison...No Contest.


I then coated the entire model in primer from badger, rust color brown.  I only use badgers primers for terrain now, I have had some really inconsistent results on resin and plastic models with it.  I know some people love it, but I find rattle can primers from rustoleum to have a much stronger bond, for MDF though this stuff is great.


Next I used various rust red colors to make the ground look more like my mat that I was going to put them on in the end.  Modulating the color on your base layer is key to making to look more realistic. It helps you do it cheaply and most importantly quickly.


The next step was painting the metal with a base of magnesium, a dark metal, then I came back and did some quick panel modulation with silver.  Nothing fancy, for metals through the airbrush I use Vallejo's "Metal Colors" line, no metal paint sprays better and ZERO mixing, the paint is always ready out of the bottle.  It costs a bit more, but it is a huge time saver and I find being able to add drop by drop whats needed, with no mixing batches probably makes the paint cheaper in the long run, because there is never waste left over paint.

After that I added some stripes to add character to the kits, nothing fancy, just some quick masking and some blue modulated stripes, adding a base layer and then a slightly brighter version of the color to one edge really takes it up a notch in realism and it is super easy and quick.


Next I sprayed on some numbers.  When spraying with templates always ALWAYS spray at low psi, if you are much higher than 10 you can lift the edge of your template and ruin the crispness of the number or other design.


I then continued this process for the rest of the kits.


The last thing I did was some rust chipping.  I used some torn sponge material to dab on browns and oranges to make the ruins look corroded.  In the end this build, for all 6 pieces, was a total of about 6 hours of build and paint, with a couple hours waiting for glue and basing materials to dry.  I love the way this stuff looks.  I plan on getting more.  Email if you have questions...Cheers...

https://sarissa-precision.com

No comments:

Post a Comment