Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Salamanders join my Shattered Legion, Painting tutorial

Like just about every model FW makes these guys were just fun to assemble and paint.  They are detailed, but detailed in a way that doesn't make them a pain to paint if you use some simple technical tricks.
































So simple assembly on bases and then prime black.  One assembly note with the pyroclasts, the flamer fuel tubes are really easy.  The trick is in glueing the tube to the flamer and backpack while it is straight.  Once the glue is set well, dip the pack and tube in hot water, I use a coffee cup I heat up the water in the microwave.  Dip for 10 seconds and that pipe is like a snake.  Just put the pack in place and the bend will look natural.  This works for weapons belts on Vorax and weapons rigs for Marines with Heavy Weapons.


































































So this time I wanted to try the spray from above to pre-shade like natural light.






































Then I sprayed from above with Badger Fresh Grass






































You should expect your models to be a little brighter here, remember you will wash the color down.  Next I touch up the blacks and paint the bases.  Mainly the shoulder pads for these guys.


































































In this stage I painted all of the main areas, gold bits, flamers, dragon skin.  After this the entire model was washed with Agrax.

Now I do all my highlights.  I used bright GW Moot Green, Vallejo Model Air Silver, on the small scales on the dragon skin I painted warlock bronze and then did a couple silver.

Last, my signature heat shading, done with Purple, Blue and then black.  I use saran wrap to mask off the rest of the model. It is quick and effective.

Last the decal work.  I coat my decal areas with gw gloss coat.  This makes a good smooth surface for the decal to stick to, after they are dry, I hit them with two coats of Lamian medium.  This tones the gloss down and seals the decal in.  I stuck to metal flame adornment on the armor also, not a fan of the colored flames, but that is just me.



That is about it.  Hope you enjoyed this.  Raven Guard Dark Fury squad up next, probably.  The Shattered Legion grows.   This has been a fun project and a great way for a guy who usually does traitor armies to do an Army with parts from several others.  A shattered legion is a great way to expand your painting to other areas and forces.



3 comments:

  1. They look great! But then again I always am a fan of Space Marines in green armor!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look great! But then again I always am a fan of Space Marines in green armor!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Doug. 10 more in MK III coming right after 10 Dark Furys

    ReplyDelete