Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Forge World Clears are in, and here are my thoughts and Test Minis.


I have actually been holding off on my Word Bearers and Night Lords as I just could not get the scheme I wanted.  I had tried the Minitaire paints but they were thin and the reds just weren't blood red and The Blue had no depth.  The FW clear Airbrush paints are exceptional.  Above are my test minis, primed black, based Iron Hands Steel, washed with Nuln Oil and then painted with 2 coats of the FW paints.  The Emperors Children model wasn't washed first, was just checking color.  First the Word Bearer is done in Angron Red, I found it a tad orange so it got a quick light spray of Minitaire Magenta, in the end the EXACT color I was looking for.  The Night lord got 2 coats of Calth Blue and then I hit the edges with Eidelon purple to produce some transition and depth.  The Emperors Children Model is just two coats of that same Eidelon Purple.  (FYI the purple model in the back was done with Minitaire purple clear, it's way to blue a cast for EC in my opinion.)





I know people aren't happy with the FW paint pots, but in about 20 minutes with some 30 mil dropper bottles and some pipettes I was able to permanently remedy the issue.  I probably only lost .5 ml maybe in the transfer and in stuck to the pot.  I would have wasted far more without the dropper bottles.  The bottles were 6 bucks for 12 and I got 100 Pipettes for 7 dollars.  Amazon for all of it.

I will make some step by step how to's soon for the Word Bearers and Night Lords, stay posted.

4 comments:

  1. How are them compared to tamiyas clear? That is a tamiya clear yellow on the paint rack right;) Had a look on some posts and realy like your wordbearers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's no secret that the Taiyma paints are on the shelves at FWs paint studio, but these are a little easier to clean up and you have more that the straight set of primary colors. Could you produce just about any scheme with taimya paints? Sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How do the clears set up on a base of Vallejo gun metal or silver

    ReplyDelete