Thursday, May 14, 2015

Down and Dirty Mechanicum War Stripes

Listening to Mechanicum right now on Audio Book and have the Red Planet Bug BAD AGAIN!.  Decided to work on a Knight today.





Tools needed:
AirBrush, I use a Badger Krome it's the best brush I have ever owned.
Tamiya Masking tape, I used 8 and 10 mm I think, it comes in about 6 widths and is a must for    
     Mechanicum lovers
Green Frog painters tape, holds a good edge, doesn't pull paint on release and is great for big area    
     masking
Vallejo Grey primer
Vallejo Game Air (Sun Yellow and Gory Red)
Model Primed with Citadel Black and then metal painted with Game Air Chainmal

Step one masking

Step two and this is the key, prime the tripes first with grey primer

Step 3, paint the Yellow

Done with stripes


Repeat same steps for Red


Note I use an old hair dryer my wife got me the set my paint good between steps, 20 seconds of that and it's super dry.

Next mask the carapace 


There you have it, total process for the three pieces took about 45 minutes, most of that was taping.


Final notes, I have been using Minitaire paint by badger, it's good paint but the paint from Vallejo's New Game Air line is AWESOME.  I would say a full star rating better than Badger.  The Vallejo metals shoot like a dream through the airbrush and match pretty good to similar GW paints.  Now to detailing and have to stripe the chain sword.

Also, you want the paint bright in this step, you will tone it down with weathering latter.  No model is complete until it's battle field worn.

Hope you enjoyed this.  Stay tuned, more to come soon.












No comments:

Post a Comment