Friday, December 22, 2017

Zone Mortalis, Death Ray Designs Part 2 Painting































So here is my scheme test pieces.  Nothing to fancy, because when you have more than 100 parts to paint, you better do something that looks good but can be done quickly assembly line style.  Thats how I went here.































These are the paints that I used.


I painted all the conduits to the lights.  This was a simple step but added some interest in an easy to replicate detail on all the pieces.



Next a light OSL effect on all of the lights.  Blue paint then a white highlight.






























Next the wall and station metal effects.  I started with a good gray primer coat, used Rustoleum gray flat primer.  I have seen people do a full metal coat and honestly I think it is a bit much.  I used gray and then airbrushed on Vallejo metal color steel.  Do this sparingly and lightly on flat surfaces.  Tiny bits here and there make the entire piece look like metal not wood.












































Next I add some blue ink to the mix.  This is done really sparingly but the subtle effect enhances the realness of the metal look.  You can also use greens and purple inks, but for this project I am sticking to blue.





































Last I add soot, in the form of black paint to the air ducts.



Once all of this is done it is time for a bright silver dry brush on all of the hard lines, this gives the walls good 3 dimensional feel.  For the final touch, a warm deep brown is sponged on sparingly to show spots of corrosion.  

Over all I am really happy with the end product... Now to do it 140+ more time this week.  As soon as I get my hands on the Doors, test the FW doors and the objective markers I will get phots up.  I will also post shots of the full ZM when it is done, hopefully this week.


1 comment:

  1. Hello
    I'm about to start a similar project. I was wondering if you have additional pictures (final ones maybe) to share ?
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete