Monday, March 30, 2015

Mhara Gal, corrupted Word Bearer Contemptor, Some new Techniques


This is another gem of a mini from the boys at Forge World.  Great sculpt and prefect cast, I had 2 tiny mold lines to deal with a dream to clean and get prepped.




I constructed the mini in subassemblies and then primed it black, GW primer, Chaos Black Primer, is worth it's weight in gold, nothing works better and believe me I have tried everything, the GW White primer, not so good though, anyway.  I primed Black and then gave everything a heavy dry brush of LeadBelcher.
The next came painting, this model was BUILT for an airbrush.  I use 90% Miniaire paints when I airbrush, be wary though, while it is advertised they are good right from the bottle, many are TOO THICK.  I thin with Vallejo thinner as Vallejo Model/Game Air are similar in the mediums they use and it seem to work great.  I usually work up from the candy clears and then at the end I shoot the solid colors very thinly, it cuts the shine down.
For those that don't know in the US Market, Future Floor Polish was bought out by pledge and they now sell the same old formula under the Pledge name.  This stuff is awesome.  About 7 dollars a bottle, it's the same structure of the other acrylic gloss coats, but at a fraction the price.  I put it straight in the Airbrush cup and spray like paint.  If you don't want the model glossy, that simple, just spray a Matte finish on it after you are done, shine gone. Why did I want a gloss coat?

This model is covered in runes, I do not have a steady painting hand for that kind of work.  So I did an experiment, if oil pin washes run well over gloss coats, do acrylics???  Yes they do, super thin your acrylic, 1 part paint, 3 parts water, and 1 part "Flow AID", you will find this in the big box hobby store, it just reduces surface tension.  Load a brush with the solution and watch the capillary action pull it into the runes.  I come back and clean up with a piece of paper towel.

More coming in the next week or so on this model. I think this will be my basic process for all of my Word Bearers.  Looking forward to doing Lorgar's rune armor this way.

No comments:

Post a Comment